WordPress Training Course
Learn via Virtual Classroom
These courses are currently being delivered live through Zoom or WebEx and allow us to stream HD-quality video of our courses direct to your laptop, desktop or tablet. These courses are limited to a maximum of 6 people.
Find out how to build a WordPress site and how to blog
Often called your social media hub, blogs play an important role in a business’ content marketing strategy. Whether you are looking to kickstart your business with a new online presence, hone your blog writing skills or to improve your basic knowledge of WordPress, this training course will equip you with the skills to help you with your blogging efforts. Over 1 day we will help you get to grips with the creation and management of WordPress websites.
This course is aimed at beginner-intermediate students whose roles may include: marketing managers/assistants, digital marketing staff, creative teams and business startups.
Apr 16, 2021
May 14, 2021
Jun 18, 2021
Jul 16, 2021
‘Live’ classes via Zoom or WebEx.
(early bird price, excl. VAT)
On completion of this 1-day course you will:
- Understand the fundamentals of WordPress
- Learn how to set up a WordPress site from scratch
- Learn how to add widgets, change themes and create menus
- Find out how to write blog posts and pages
- Be able to add and embed a number of different media
- Understand how to engage visitors
Who is the course aimed at?
This 1-day course is designed to give those who are either beginners or who are not quite sure how to use WordPress effectively. It is aimed at marketing and PR professionals, graphic designers, administration staff and owner/ managers.
Session 1 – A close look at the blogosphere
- Who blogs and why do they blog?
- What are the main platforms?
- What is the difference between WordPress.com and Wordpess.org?
Session 2 – Defining objectives
- What are your business objectives?
- Who is your audience?
Session 3 – Blogging fundamentals
- Exploring themes and page layout
- How do posts differ from pages?
- Evaluating different styles of blogs from diverse companies.
Session 4 – Setting up a blog
- Starting out: domain name, mapping, layout, etc
- Theme selection and considerations
- Using and adding menus
- What are widgets and how can we add them?
- Developing simple content articles.
Session 5 – Writing content
- Aligning your content to your business objectives
- Knowing when to write pages/posts and creating a blog diary
- How to write SEO-friendly and good quality content
- Learn over 25 great writing techniques
- Discover the importance of context
- Explore how to format – from links to embeds
Session 6 – Sourcing content and creating images
- Understanding the context of your business
- Using Twitter and Facebook to find quality content
- Sourcing and creating great images for headers and articles
Session 7 – Finding viewers and keeping them
- How to use Social media and connect your channels
- Setting up RSS to email notifications
- Using Google Search console to support your blog.
- Considering blogger outreach and influencers
Session 8 – Measurement, 3rd party apps and future planning
- Learn how the stats within WordPress work and what they mean
- Connect third party accounts
- Start blogging from a mobile device
- Consider the benefits of WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
Delegate rates for London courses start at £329 (+VAT) and for Cardiff courses at £229 (+VAT); standard rates are £349 and £249 respectively. Please note that during the pandemic prices will start at the Cardiff rate. Prices include:
- Slides for the day.
- Access to our password-protected area where you can access latest slides and self-help guide, along with links to useful resources and videos.
- Lunch and refreshments throughout the day (for our in-person courses only)
Get 15% off course bookings if your organisation is a registered charity (not applicable to Early Bird discounts)
If you have 2 or more staff attending, we can offer a discount of 10% (off the standard NOT Early Bird rate).
Courses start at 9.00 am, though we ask delegates to arrive at the venue by 8.45 am (for our virtual classes we ask people to sign in to Zoom by 9.00 am). The courses end at 4.30 pm and lunch is usually taken at 12.30 pm with tea and coffee breaks mid morning and mid afternoon. To work out your travel times, please see the venue addresses below. If you have any dietary requirements, please let us know
** Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic we will be delivering all of our courses ‘live’ through Zoom/WebEx.**
Virtual Classrooms Are Now Live
For the next few months at least this course will be delivered live through a virtual platform. All courses are delivered through Zoom which allows us to stream HD-quality video of our courses direct to your laptop, desktop or tablet. These courses are limited to a maximum of 8 people. Learn more about Virtual Classrooms.
Cardiff location (training)
Our principal training venue is located in the offices of Liberty Marketing in Cardiff Business Park, Llanishen. This location is conveniently located between the M4 (junction 32) and Cardiff City Centre, making it easily accessible from Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, the valleys and South West England. Please note on occasion our training venues may be located in Cardiff City centre (always check the events page for correct location).
London location (training)
The venue for the workshop is in the heart of London and therefore ideal for transport links. We hold the training at either Portland Place or Holborn Bars in London. Both venues offer free wifi, teas/coffees and a sit-down lunch in a restaurant on-site.
Who is your tutor?
The trainer for this course is Alun John. Alun heads up Marketing Tom Media and has been delivering Digital Marketing training for over 15 years. He has worked as a Digital Media lecturer in the University of Wales, Cardiff and worked as a Chartered Institute of Marketing lecturer since 2004, delivering training courses at both certificate and diploma level. He has given presentations at conferences on the subject of Digital Marketing and Social Media and has worked with organisations as diverse as the Welsh Government, Cardiff University, the Bank of Ireland, Sir Robert McAlpine, the NHS, Aviva and hundreds more.
Please get in touch through the following.
Regus House, Malthouse Avenue, Cardiff Gate Business Park, Cardiff. CF23 8RU