The Hype Machine – Sinan Aral
Well, it has been quite some time since we last did a book competition and this time we have a cracking read from Sinan Aral. I must admit that I hadn’t heard of Sinan Aral until I came across him on Guy Kawasaki’s excellent series of podcasts, Remarkable People. If you haven’t heard it, I recommend you head over to here to listen to it. Many of the ideas/thoughts he discusses are developed in much more depth in his book, The Hype Machine.
I am giving away 2 copies of this book. To enter, just complete the entry form below.
Named one of the best books of the year by Wired
In this brilliant smart-thinking book about the power and influence of social media, Professor Sinan Aral shows how ‘hyper-socialization’ has profoundly changed us. Why does fake news spread faster than the truth? Do products and ideas become popular because they are good or because they are rated highly online? How does influence actually work and what does it mean to be influential? Which strategies and tactics can help businesses survive and thrive in the New Social Age?
Packed with original research conducted by Aral and his team, The Hype Machine describes the impact of social media on statecraft, politics, voting, business and public health, and shows us how to adapt our society to the hyper-socialized state the Hype Machine has wrought.
“This is the most important book of the year! Our friendships, economy, and society now depend on billions of social media connections, and no one on the planet understands them better than Sinan Aral. …A lively, engaging masterpiece.”
– Erik Brynjolfsson, bestselling co-author of The Second Machine Age
“In a sea of books about social media, this is the one to read. Aral understands the new social age like no one else, and The Hype Machine offers the single best examination of how social media works and how we can make it better.”
– Clint Watts, author of Messing with the Enemy
“The Hype Machine is a riveting story of social media’s impact on how we live. Part spy novel and part science thriller, this book is an essential guide to ensuring our digital future.”
– Jonah Berger, bestselling author of Contagious
“A breathtaking journey through the economics, technology, and behavioral psychology of how we can capture the promise of social media and avoid its peril.”
– Maria Ressa, CEO of Rappler and a Time Person of the Year for 2018
“Full of rigor and insight, The Hype Machine tackles some of the most pressing policy questions of the Digital Age while keeping you on the edge of your seat. …A must-read for policy makers, business executives, and parents alike.”
– DJ Patil, former U.S. Chief Data Scientist
The closing date is Oct 15th, 2021 at 5.00 pm.
Enter Our Book CompetitionPlease complete the details below to enter the book competition.
- Only one entry per person is permitted, multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Marketing Tom Media employees and family members of any company associated with the competition are not eligible to enter.
- Persons under 13 years of age may only enter with the written permission of a parent or legal guardian.
- The winners will be the first eligible entries, drawn at random, after the closing date.
- By entering the competition, you confirm that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Marketing Tom Media reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- There is no requirement to sign up for newsletter updates to enter an online prize draw style competition. In order to enter, participants must add their name and email address. Online registration is required as part of the entry process.
- The winners will be contacted within 3 days of the draw closing date.
9. We reserve the right (when reasonably required to do so) to replace the stated prizes with prizes that we consider to be of broadly equivalent value. We offer no cash alternative for non-cash prizes and prize winners must accept prizes in the form offered.
- No alternative prize or cash in lieu will be offered and the prize is non-transferable.
- Marketing Tom Media Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the rules.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a competition, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Marketing Tom Media Ltd will not be liable if a prize does not reach a prize-winner for any reason outside of their control or if a prize is damaged during delivery.
- This competition is only open to UK residents.