Dark Social – Ian MacRae
For our last book competition we featured Sinan Aral’s excellent The Hype Machine and two lucky people, both former CIM Level 3 students ironically, were lucky enough to win. This time, and sticking with the Social Media theme, we are offering Ian MacRae’s Dark Social, which I’m also sure that you’re going to love.
And, lucky for us, Bloomsbury have kindly offered TWO books for us to give away. To enter, just complete the entry form below.
Dark Social is an essential guide on how businesses and brands can thrive on digital platforms while also remaining protected from online scams, threats and risks.
From Donald Trump’s outrageous tweets to the impact of the GRU (Russia’s military intelligence agency) on foreign elections, through to echo chambers and amplification by bots and networks – the negative side of social media is becoming ever more apparent. Now far removed from a comfortable landscape of cat videos and family pictures, social media is now open to exploitation from a range of sources, from disgruntled employees to ‘fake news’.
The negative impact of social media upon the workplace can have damaging consequences for businesses. Reputations can be ruined overnight, employees can manipulate social media feeds to their own advantage, and the boundaries between professional and personal social media conduct can become dangerously blurred.
Dark Social is an approachable and widely applicable guide to the dangers of social media, and the steps that can be taken by businesses to avoid any negative consequences as a result of social media activity. Despite these risks, social media should not be neglected – it has become a fundamental part of business literacy and is now an essential element of any successful marketing & PR campaign. Drawing upon fascinating case studies and organizational psychology, Dark Social is a timely and fascinating insight into the darker side of social media.
“An essential guide to the angels and demons lurking within 21st century workplaces and virtual environments.”
Jessica Carson, Director of Innovation, American Psychological Association
“MacRae reminds us that we ignore the ‘dark side’ at our own peril… In an era where so much time is spent both working and socializing in a virtual context, much can be learned from the research and insight delivered in this book.”
Roberta Sawatzky, Professor, Okanagan School of Business
“A wonderfully nuanced exploration of our behaviour in person and in cyberspace … I would heartily recommend this book to anyone who wishes to improve their working relationships and clean up their online persona.”
David Robson, science writer and author of ‘The Intelligence Trap’
The closing date is Dec 17th, 2021 at 5.00 pm.
Enter Our December 2021 Book CompetitionPlease complete the details below to enter the book competition.
- Only one entry per person is permitted, multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Marketing Tom Media employees and family members of any company associated with the competition are not eligible to enter.
- Persons under 13 years of age may only enter with the written permission of a parent or legal guardian.
- The winners will be the first eligible entries, drawn at random, after the closing date.
- By entering the competition, you confirm that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Marketing Tom Media reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- There is no requirement to sign up for newsletter updates to enter an online prize draw style competition. In order to enter, participants must add their name and email address. Online registration is required as part of the entry process.
- The winners will be contacted within 3 days of the draw closing date.
9. We reserve the right (when reasonably required to do so) to replace the stated prizes with prizes that we consider to be of broadly equivalent value. We offer no cash alternative for non-cash prizes and prize winners must accept prizes in the form offered.
- No alternative prize or cash in lieu will be offered and the prize is non-transferable.
- Marketing Tom Media Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the rules.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a competition, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Marketing Tom Media Ltd will not be liable if a prize does not reach a prize-winner for any reason outside of their control or if a prize is damaged during delivery.
- This competition is only open to UK residents.